Boulder City, Nevada
Boulder City is a small city located in Clark County, Nevada that is home to approximately 15,500 people. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Nevada. It is located near the Colorado River and Lake Mead, and its geography is characterized by flat terrain and desert-like conditions. The climate of Boulder City is generally hot and dry in the summer months with mild temperatures in the winter months.
The history of Boulder City dates back to 1931 when it was founded as a government camp for workers constructing the Hoover Dam. In 1959, it was officially incorporated as a city and has since become a popular destination for outdoor activities such as fishing, camping, hiking, and rock climbing. The economy of Boulder City relies heavily on tourism with many visitors coming to enjoy the outdoors or visit its many historic sites.
The city’s politics are dominated by the local Republican Party which holds most elected offices in the city council. Schools within Boulder City include three elementary schools, one middle school, one high school, and one college campus for higher education opportunities. Notable landmarks in Boulder City include Hoover Dam which can be seen from most parts of the city as well as Bootleg Canyon Mountain Bike Park which offers excellent mountain biking trails. Additionally, Lake Mead National Recreation Area is just minutes away from downtown providing ample opportunities for water recreation such as swimming or boating.
Population: 14,966. Estimated population in July 2020: 15,177 (+1.4% change)
Males: 7,401 (49.5%), Females: 7,565 (50.5%)
Zip codes: 89005.
Median resident age: 47.0 years
Median household income: $50,523
Median house value: $172,500
Races in Boulder City:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.9%)
- Hispanic (4.3%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- American Indian (1.7%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (18.6%), English (17.5%), Irish (15.2%), Italian (5.8%), United States (5.0%), French (4.2%).
Elevation: 2501 feet
Land area: 202.6 square miles
Boulder City is a small city located about 30 miles southeast of Las Vegas. It is the only city in Nevada that does not allow gambling and has a population of about 15,000 people. The city is known for its outdoor activities, such as hiking and rock climbing, and its proximity to Hoover Dam.
The cost of living in Boulder City is slightly higher than the national average due to its location close to Las Vegas. Housing prices are around 9% higher than the US average while groceries are around 5% more expensive than other states. Utility costs are also slightly higher than the national average due to the hot summer climate in Boulder City. Despite these higher costs, many people choose to live in Boulder City due to its small-town feel and access to outdoor activities. The median household income is around $55,000 which is slightly lower than the US average but still considered a middle-class salary by most standards.
The population of Boulder City is diverse with a mix of retirees from all over the country, young professionals looking for an escape from Las Vegas, and families who have lived there for generations. There are also many international students who come to town for college or work opportunities at nearby businesses or resorts. The city has strong ties with nearby military bases and often hosts events for local veterans. Despite being close to Las Vegas, Boulder City still maintains its own unique identity with small town charm that attracts visitors from all over the world.
For population 25 years and over in Boulder City
- High school or higher: 88.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 22.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.2%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Boulder City city
- Never married: 16.3%
- Now married: 60.7%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 12.5%
3.2% Foreign born (1.3% Europe, 1.0% Latin America, 0.5% Asia, 0.4% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,235 (+9.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Boulder City:
- BOULDER CITY HOSPITAL (901 ADAMS BOULEVARD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Boulder City:
- ST ROSE DOMINICAN HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; HENDERSON, NV)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHAB HOSP OF HENDERSON (about 16 miles; HENDERSON, NV)
- ST ROSE DOMINICAN HOSPITAL SIENA CAMP (about 16 miles; HENDERSON, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Boulder City:
- MC CARRAN INTL (about 21 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: LAS)
- NELLIS AFB (about 23 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: LSV)
- LAUGHLIN/BULLHEAD INTERNATIONAL (about 60 miles; BULLHEAD CITY, AZ; Abbreviation: IFP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Boulder City:
- BOULDER CITY MUNI (about 3 miles; BOULDER CITY, NV; Abbreviation: 61B)
- HENDERSON EXECUTIVE (about 18 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: HND)
- NORTH LAS VEGAS (about 28 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Abbreviation: VGT)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Boulder City:
- A-1 TRUCK DRIVING TRAINING (Location: 1105 INDUSTRIAL RD; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Boulder City:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-LAS VEGAS (about 7 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 15,686)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN NEVADA (about 25 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 13,686)
- MOHAVE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 80 miles; KINGMAN, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,405)
- LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY (about 107 miles; LOMA LINDA, CA; Full-time enrollment: 2,761)
- DIXIE STATE COLLEGE OF UTAH (about 121 miles; ST GEORGE, UT; Full-time enrollment: 4,347)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-RIVERSIDE (about 171 miles; RIVERSIDE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 12,213)
- SOUTHERN UTAH UNIVERSITY (about 173 miles; CEDAR CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 5,091)
Public high school in Boulder City:
- BOULDER CITY HS (Students: 764; Location: 1101 FIFTH AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Boulder City:
- GARRETT, ELTON MIDSCH (Students: 633; Location: 1200 AVENUE G; Grades: 06 – 08)
- KING, MARTHA ELEM (Students: 505; Location: 888 ADAMS BOULEVARD; Grades: 03 – 05)
- MITCHELL, ANDREW ELEM (Students: 435; Location: 900 AVENUE; Grades: PK – 02)
Private primary/middle school in Boulder City:
- CHRISTIAN CENTER SCHOOL (Students: 51; Location: PO BOX 62496; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Boulder City:
- BOULDER CITY LIBRARY DISTRICT (Operating income: $6,262,724; Location: 813 ARIZONA STREET; 67,222 books; 4,116 audio materials; 1,141 video materials; 230 serial subscriptions)